Saturday, June 18, 2011

Nerd Herd

So my section of the dorm is full of nerds. We are all interns for either neuroscience or chemical engineering. I feel right at home :) I can be myself. I can tell science jokes and everyone understands! I can actually talk to them about the research I am doing in my lab and they actually understand the terms I use. No offense to my family, but it is really hard to explain what I am doing when you aren't fluent in biology talk. 

But other than the fact that they can relate to me, it's just nice to have friends here. I was a little hesitant coming here, because it was like starting freshman year all over again. It was easy to make friends with the Neuroscience interns, because we all lived together, we all eat at the same times, and we have scheduled events that we all attend together for the program. It was also pretty easy to make friends with the chemistry people too, mostly because we live with them, and because we share that nerd bond. (if any of you guys read this, take this post as a compliment). 


So other than hanging out in the dorms together, eating meals, and talking about science, we do other fun stuff together. Last weekend we all went to a movie, and then bowling (but bowling was closing soon, so we left). On Wednesday we all went to this documentary showing about grizzly bears. On Fridays we have what is called "networking" in our schedule, where we all meet and talk about what we are doing in lab. We basically get paid to talk to our friends for an hour and eat food. Last night after dinner someone decided that it would be fun to all play basketball. Now, imagine a group of 8 science nerds who all suck at basketball. It was hilarious. Probably the best game of basketball I have ever played. It ended in blood. After that we had a movie night in the lounge. Someone brought their big screen tv out, and we moved all the couches, and we connected to netflix. It's been fun getting to know these people. We have known each other less than 2 weeks, and we are already acting like we have been friends for life. It should be a fun summer.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are finding fun things to do with new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    So happy to hear from you again. We're excited about this experience for you and your new-found friends and activities.
    Please keep trying to help us understand. We enjoy learning.
    Your family, Grandma and Grandpa T.

    ReplyDelete